Wednesday, May 29, 2013

0 Stay Hungry!!!

"The key to staying on top of things
is treat everything like it's your first project...
Like it's your first day... as an intern... just stay hungry"
-Christopher "The Notorious B.I.G." Wallace


Last year, when I watched the acclaimed film, The Dark Knight Rises, I heard one of the characters say something that struck me. 

It's from the scene where Bane, the villain of the movie, first fights Batman, and realizes how ineffective Batman's attack on him is. He says:

"Peace has cost you your strength! Victory has defeated you."

We all know that there's no feeling quite like the one that we get when we are victorious at something. Whether it's getting a good grade on a test, winning a game, earning a lot of money, or any small moment of triumph throughout our lives.

The emotional high which we receive from success can be a good thing. But for some people it can be a bad thing.

For some, success gives feelings of complacency, and in some cases, entitlement. The problem with this is that, without even noticing it, many people let their success lead to their downfall.

Think of how many people let success go to their head, then think of all of the people were once big names because of their success and are now nearly forgotten. In many cases, it is because of this feeling of being comfortable with what they've done. 

What we all have to realize is that our talent, skill and hard work may get us to the top, but our consistency is what will keep us at the top.

Also, we cannot get caught up in excessively looking back at our past successes because with both positive and negative events in our lives, we have to move on in order to grow.

It's ok to be proud of your work and happy about your accomplishments, but after a while you have to move on to something bigger and better. No one wants to be a one-hit wonder.


Not even him.

Getting comfortable in success is also something which I have be careful about myself. 

In the past few years, I've been blessed to achieve success in numerous things, and just couple weeks ago, I graduated with my Masters Degree at the age of 23, becoming one of the few people in my family to earn that degree, as well as being the youngest one to do so.




(I also reached 2,000 pageviews on this blog today... just saying) 

When I graduated, I was happy, proud... and I even was a little emotional at the graduation ceremony. However, the main thing in my mind was the question of, "OK, what's next?"

I know that I still have to work hard to do bigger and better things, and I admit, sometimes I slip up and get too comfortable in my success too, but every day is a chance to improve and to grow.

As the legendary musician Jon Bon Jovi once said, "Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time - you may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Pages - Menu

The Mind of Marvin Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates