Saturday, May 18, 2013

0 Edinboro University: My journey for excellence




On the morning of August 25, 2007, at the age of 17 years old, my life changed forever.

I remember the day vividly; I gave a hug to my parents and little brother as they got in the car to leave the parking lot of Lawrence Towers. My then-nine year-old brother, usually the family jokester, uncharacteristically had tears’ swelling up in his eyes.

The sad look on his usually laughing face, showed that it was finally sinking in that it was time for the person closest to him, whom he’d been around every day of his life, to go away to college.
As they drove away down Perry Lane and disappeared in the distance, I stood in the parking lot and for the first time in my life, I felt like I was an adult.

The first thought that popped into my head was, “Well, you’re here, now what are you going to do?”
At that moment I felt numerous emotions at once, I felt fear, anxiety, excitement (once I realized there were beautiful women nearly everywhere), yet most of all, I felt like I had something to prove.

Many of my high school classmates were going to the bigger schools like Temple and Penn State. I knew that I wasn’t going to a “big school”, but I had “big school” mentality.To me, it didn’t matter that Edinboro University wasn’t a big name school because in Edinboro University, I saw opportunity, I saw a unique experience waiting to happen, and I chance to grow into the person whom I was destined to become.

I didn’t come here not looking to live off of the legacy of EUP, I came here to help build a legacy for EUP.
Hopefully, I was successful in achieving that goal. But if I was, it wasn’t just because of me, it was because of the people who help us every day.

So, I’d like to thank all of the professors, staff and administrators who work hard to give us the best educational experience possible.Thanks to all of the housekeeping staff, the facilities staff, the food services workers, who keep this place running smoothly.

Also, I’d like to thank all of the people who work within our campus organizations to make this campus better, including those within Residence Life, Greek Life, SGA, many others, and last but certainly not least, our campus media.

Thanks to the students who may not be involved with any particular organization but work hard to improve this University.

And thank you to all of the wonderful people from different walks of life that I’ve been blessed to meet here.

At the age of 17, when my journey first began at Edinboro, I asked myself, “What are going to do?”

Now, at the age of 23, approaching the “real world” and getting closer to end of my Edinboro journey as a grad student, I have to admit, I sometimes ask myself the same question.

Yet, the answer to the second question is the same as the answer to the first, that is: Make the most of it.

I’ve learned many things at Edinboro University, but one of the best lessons that I learned was to make the most of what you have. That means making the most of your resources, your environment, your opportunity to learn, your friends, and most importantly, your time, because eventually, all things must come to an end.

Yet, the end of one journey is just the start of a new one.

I’ve been honored to have taken part in such a remarkable journey here and no matter where I go throughout my life, I will always cherish the moments I’ve had here, and  I don’t care how corny or clichéd it might sound now, but great things do happen here.

Thank you, Edinboro.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Pages - Menu

The Mind of Marvin Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates