Tuesday, May 28, 2013

0 You're not bored, you're boring



"I'm bored, where's the party?"

"It's so boring here!"

Sound familiar?

When I think of the word "Boredom" I think back to when I was 5 years-old, during that seemingly eternal half hour between me finishing my homework and before my favorite show at the time, "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" came on.

Since my high school years, my mind has usually been occupied with something. My curiosity and fascination with various aspects of life didn't allow to be bored. So, today as an adult, it really bothers me when I hear other adults complain about being bored.

I think to myself, "Where are all of these grown people getting all this time to be bored?"

Then, it hit me; a person's idea of boredom has a lot to do with a person's perception of what is "fun" or exciting.

The truth is that many people have severely limited themselves on what they find exciting and fun. They don't try a lot of new things and they fear taking risks. Therefore, the problem may not always be boring circumstances. The problem may be boring people.

As the writer, Eric Hoffer once said, "When people are bored, it is primarily with themselves."

For small children, boredom can be seen as a part of the development of the imagination. But for adults, boredom is just a symptom of small-mindedness.

There is so much to do in the world, so many things to see, and so many new things to try. To say "I'm bored" is just a way of mentally forfeiting many of the great things that life has to offer, and one of those things is the process improving ourselves.

As human beings, we are works in progress, so we could always learn more, do more, grow more and become more.

When one looks at life in that perspective, which is one of constant improvement of not only oneself, but of one's surrounding environment, it becomes clear that to being bored is irrational.

Here are three productive habits a person could pick up to easily avoid boredom:



1. Reading- Reading is a crucial to a person's intellectual growth. If a person gains an interest in reading and learning more, it becomes sort of an addiction, except its a healthy addiction. As Malcolm X once said, "You will not catch me with a free 15 minutes, in which I’m not studying something...I could spend the rest of my life reading... I didn’t go to college, my alma mater was books."



2. Work out- A person's physical health is just as important as their intellectual health. By working out and living a healthy lifestyle, we help to ensure that we get the most out of life while avoiding many ailments and diseases. 



3. Spend time with your family- Do we really spend enough time with our family these days? Another day isn't promised to anybody, spend time interacting with family members as well... especially older people, they usually have great deal of wisdom and knowledge to pass on.

When a person really understands what life is really worth, and wants to gain the most of it, the concept of boredom becomes nearly incomprehensible.

So get up, get out, learn something, do something new, meet new people, learn a new skill, lend a helping hand, because life is far too short to waste it on being bored. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Pages - Menu

The Mind of Marvin Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates